Online Petition - "Stammering is no Joke" Campaign

Inter- and transnational affairs, please write in English - thanks... feel free to write and enjoy
Antworten
Norbert

Online Petition - "Stammering is no Joke" Campaign

Beitrag von Norbert » 3. Dezember 2007 17:38

WOULD YOU LAUGH AT SOMEONE WITH CEREBRAL PALSY?

If not, why do so many people still think stammering is a joke?

It’s now clear that the brains of people who stammer differ from those who do not. So laughing at, or discriminating against them is as wrong as laughing at or discriminating against people who have cerebral palsy or any other disability.

Since late September, the British Stammering Association [BSA] has been running a campaign against YouTube, because they are showing a number of videos which feature people stammering, or pretending to stammer, which have been classified as Comedy. We have complained about the classification and posted a response video, which explains what life is really like if you stammer, and it is at:

Worldwide campaign and petition

A worldwide campaign begins on December 3rd and features an online petition to get these videos reclassified, which is at

http://www.petitiononline.com/nojoke/petition.html [1]

The current classification of these videos as ‘Comedy’ is deeply insulting to those who stammer and, worse, it fosters discrimination.
Stammering simulator

As we hear so little about stammering, most people have no idea what a very real disability it can be, so we have a stammering simulator available. It can help others understand how stammering affects lives. Imagine, for example, the changes stammering would bring for people such as TV and radio presenters, MPs, those in the public eye or anyone in a position of responsibility. And imagine how simple every day things, like buying a drink in a crowded pub or buying a sandwich at lunchtime, would turn into real challenges.

Leys Geddes
Vice-Chair
3 December 2007

[1] Please note – this site is part-financed through advertising and there will be some rather misleading adverts about ‘stammering cures’ or ‘quick fixes’ placed by Google. This is not in any way endorsed by the BSA.

Michael13
nicht mehr wegzudenken
nicht mehr wegzudenken
Beitrag von Michael13 » 4. Dezember 2007 16:33

Hello there,

well, I understand the idea as so far that it shall make people aware of the background of stammering which is good.

I appreciate the campaign's idea in a certain way, but don't know whether it may lead in a direction which won't help people who stammer. What happened if people think "Hey, those people are not able to have fun and cannot laugh about themselves."?

I wish the campaign success "but" don't know whether it might be more efficient to use the same "weapons". Insofar I have no immediate idea but found some lines of an old Monty-Python-Song:
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
http://www.thebards.net/music/lyrics/Al ... Life.shtml

So, the "the last laugh is on you" ... Isn't it more appropriate to make better humour than people who have no idea about stammering or use it to satisfy their own shortcomings? I mean isn't it (psychologically) better to have something "for" than something "against"?

All the best, Micha.

Norbert

Beitrag von Norbert » 4. Dezember 2007 16:50

Michael13 hat geschrieben:I appreciate the campaign's idea in a certain way, but don't know whether it may lead in a direction which won't help people who stammer. What happened if people think "Hey, those people are not able to have fun and cannot laugh about themselves."?
Do you think it's funny making jokes about people with cerebral palsy? What about someone who is blind? Multiple sclerosis? That's always a good one, always a laugh in MS. Or Parkinson's Disease?

At least with the final three, no-one ascribes psychological attributes to them. Cerebral palsy sufferers are often regarded as intellectually disabled. Why should stammerers be a target? What stereotypes does this perpetuate?

Why should I worry about whether or not some moron who mimics my speech as his idea of fun should wonder whether I have a sense of humour?

N.

Frankie
präsent
präsent
BVSS-Mitglied: ja
Beitrag von Frankie » 4. Dezember 2007 17:58

Hi,

I appreciate this campaign and I just signed it with the following comment:

It's sick to classify spy cam videos of stuttering people as "comedy".

Bye,
Frank

Michael13
nicht mehr wegzudenken
nicht mehr wegzudenken
Beitrag von Michael13 » 7. Dezember 2007 15:49

Hi there, hi Norbert,

I watched the video right now (sorry, didn't do so before ... mea culpa).

Some questions resp. remarks:
1. Is the person who speaks Leys Geddes?
2. Can you give some examples of videos in which stammering/stuttering people are a subject of jokes, please. I searched for the word "stutter" on YouTube and found 1900 videos. Too much for me to check them all ... :)
So, since the campaign seems to have a serious background I would like to see some of the videos that gave people (like Leys Geddes) the inspiration.

Thanks in advance, Micha.

Norbert

Beitrag von Norbert » 7. Dezember 2007 17:41

Hi Micha

good to see that not having seen Leys' video clip hasn't stopped you from having an opinion! :lol:

And yes, it's Leys Geddes talking to camera.

If you search You Tube, you'll see that there are many clips which show people stammering, or pretending to stammer, which have been classified as Comedy. Some examples of these 'Comedy' stammering videos include:

N.

Norbert

Beitrag von Norbert » 15. Dezember 2007 20:51

We've made the first 500! :-)

Antworten